From the Blog
Teaching creative thinking to kids helps them become independent learners and achievers for a lifetime. Nurture their imaginations and get ready to have fun, be challenged, and be amazed at the awesome ideas that flow.
In honor of 2014, here are fourteen favorite games that fire up creative thought and let imaginations run wild. Kids can play these quick games in groups or independently.
- PUT IN A GOOD WORD – The first player says a simple sentence such as “Birds can fly.” The next player must then add one or two words to the original sentence. For example, he may say, “Blue birds can fly.” Then, the following player adds another word or two. Now the sentence may become “Blue birds can fly quickly,” then, Blue birds can fly quickly toward Florida,” and so on until a player cannot think of another word to add to the sentence.
- LAST WORD – Say a sentence such as “I like peaches.” The next player must then create a sentence using the last word of the former sentence for the first word of his sentence such as “Peaches do not grow in the ocean.” Continuing the example, “Ocean and sand make a beach,” then “Beach toys are fun,” and so on. Play goes back and forth until one player gets stumped. For an extra challenge, restrict the sentences to a specific topic.
- ALLITERATION NATION – Have a conversation with another player using alliteration. Choose a letter of the alphabet and create sentences using as many words that begin with that letter as possible. For instance, for the letter “w,” your sentence might be: “We want water whenever we waltz,” or “We will work with your wish.” Challenge your partner to an alliterative standoff to see who can create the longest sentences with any given letter. For younger children use three or four word sentences such as "a dog did dance."
- ACRONYM NERD – To begin this game, the first player calls out a four- or five-letter word. The next player must then think of an acronym for that word. For example, if the word is “nerd,” the next player might say, “Nine elephants rolled downhill.” This player then calls out another word, and play continues. The sentences must be complete, but need not be entirely logical.
- LIFE’S A BEACH – In this game of hypothetical mishaps, players dream up a myriad
“I’m ready for a change”
How would you take a plain, familiar toy, such as a teddy bear, and make it more fun? With "Invent-a-Toy," a lesson plan from taken from Creative Genius, students invent new toys by brainstorming ways to improve existing toys.
For example, to create a new and different version of an ordinary teddy bear, the upgraded toy could change color by touch, sing and dance, have secret compartments, or become a fully-functioning built-in clock. It could have the capability of transforming into a giant sleeping bag or a bicycle seat, become part of a set of charms for a bracelet, or hold a paintbrush that can paint real pictures.
Dream it, plan it, and sketch it. Who knows? Maybe someday your child's ideas will appear on the shelves of a popular toy store! This stand-alone 12 page lesson plan is available on our Teachers Pay Teachers store.
What Is Our Passion?
Giving Kids an Amazing Advantage in Life
We offer products that encourage kids to believe in the power of their imaginations. These include apps, books, lesson plans, games, and fun activities that enable children to develop their creative thinking skills. Our goal at Jr Imagination is to grow the creative potential of every child, lead young dreamers to success, and raise the next generation of achievers.
At Jr Imagination we understand that creatively gifted students aren't necessarily identified as the most intellectually gifted, and that all children have inherent creative potential. Creative talent abounds among advanced, average, and learning-challenged kids. And while all children are naturally creative, we, as educators and parents, must nurture that creativity.
iPhone and iPod Touch App
Creative Genius On-the-Go! Engage Your Children in Imaginative Learning and Problem Solving Activities
Here's only a sampling of the 150 activities you get in Creative Genius On-the-Go!
Have you ever wanted a fun enrichment activity right at your fingertips when your child says, "Play with me!”? Creative Genius On-the-Go! is an amazing creative thinking tool for parents to engage children with 150 challenges, diversions, and scenarios that can be played anytime, anywhere. And because it's based on sound learning principles, Creatve Genius On-the-Go! is great for the classroom and homeschool, too.
Creativity is often thought to be a special gift. Now we understand that creative thinking is a set of skills to learn and apply. Teaching creative thinking to children helps them think for themselves and to be independent learners and achievers throughout their lives.
The App Features 3 Collections:
- 50 What Ifs? - Scenarios
- 50 Imagine That! - Challenges
- 50 Wack-tivities - Diversions
These fun activities display as short, written prompts. Children can play independently, with siblings or friends, and, of course, parents!